"It is not the place of the theatre to show the correct path, but only to offer the means by which all possible paths may be examined." Augusto Boal
Milwaukee Public Theatre is rooted in a profound belief in the arts as a healing resource that must be available to all people, regardless of age, ability/disability, culture, ethnicity or income level. From our beginnings as a two-person company of mimes/musicians/storytellers, we have grown into a multi-faceted outreach arts organization working with over 100 artists from a vast array cultures and arts disciplines and reaching 80,000-90,000 people annually with highly diverse programming that tours throughout our community. We aspire to be interactive, thought-provoking and celebrative.
Milwaukee Public Theatre is a professional, not-for-profit outreach company that creates and presents performing arts productions and related arts and education activities that increase awareness of current social issues, promote accessibility and diversity, and provide healing arts resources.
In creating and presenting the arts, these goals and objectives are considered and addressed:
- To make the arts financially, intellectually and geographically accessible to everyone
- To create art that encourages people to develop and use critical thinking skills
- To promote the arts as a resource for personal, community and cultural growth and transformation
- To develop imaginative art forms that empower individuals to participate in the ongoing creation of their culture
- To apply theatrical traditions and forms that contribute to a deeper understanding of current social issues, conditions and concerns
- To create art that promotes well-being and celebration